The Fam

The Fam
Family Photos Fall 2015

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Windfall and transmissions

Yesterday was a good day.  It started out as a GREAT day.  Work went well and I made some headway on a couple of tough accounts.  I received an unexpected windfall of money and was happily adding it to our savings account.  We had dinner at my sister's with my Dad, the missionaries and my brother.  We were on our way home and all of a sudden my engined started to rev way to high and we were not moving forward.  I pulled over and put the Suburban into park and really ground the gears. We were still 10 miles from home, it was late and I had the whole family with me.  I asked Harmon to say a prayer to help us get home.  He did, I put the truck in gear it ground a little bit but moved forward.  We had to drop to lower gears a couple of time and when we were finally on our road about 1/4 of a mile from home the transmission just gave up.  The engine was running fine we just had it rebuilt last week.  All 5 kids and I got out and started to push the truck home.  It was mostly level with a slight grade so pushing was easy.  A time or two we were all running trying to keep up with it. Harmon's prayer was answered and we were able to safely get it home.  The windfall I received is almost exactly what I need to get the transmission fixed.  So much for getting ahead. 

Windfalls happen, cars break down, these are parts of life.  Depending on when they happen totally affects the way we react.  I found out about the money yesterday morning.  The transmission died last night and I was totally calm about the truck breaking down.  I was totally bummed now I would have to spend the money.  But I was not worried about how to pay for it.  In fact I had not taken the opportunity to tell Rhonda about the money until after the truck.  I wonder what would have happened if this course of events happened in reverse.  If the truck broke down last night I would have been totally stressed.  The money came today or tomorrow I would have been grateful and relieved.  I am trying to figure out exactly what lesson I am supposed to learn from this. 

I know Heavenly Father is aware of our needs, I am in awe that my families needs were addressed before we even knew we had a need.  Very cool.  Now I need to find someplace to replace a transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have been inspired by the words of brilliance or the creative spelling let me know and leave a comment, that is when it gets fun for us writing this thing is getting your feedback.