The Fam

The Fam
Family Photos Fall 2015

Monday, January 20, 2014

deep thoughts from my corner chair

As I sit here in my pajamas wondering if I am going to take a shower today it gives me a chance to contemplate the really important things in life.  I believe most if not all people suffer from the same types of fears and questions at some point of time in their life.  We all have insecurities that we must overcome or have them rule us.  Here are a few that I have been thinking about lately:

  • Fear of what in my bedroom.  Let me explain.  Have you ever been laying in bed in the dark and had a foot or arm hang off the edge of the bed and then all of a sudden you realize it is not with in the safe confines of the bed and you quickly move thinking to yourself "wow that was a close one"?
  • Closet doors.  I am married to someone who shall remain nameless that has a fear of sleeping in a room with open closet doors.  I think it stems from a bad experience watching Mary Poppins when they were dancing with the clothes.
  • Sharks.  There are two kinds of people those who are scared of sharks and those who like to swim in the ocean.  My wife who shall remain nameless refuses to swim in any live body of water because of sharks.  We live in Idaho and that little fact does not even weigh into her thought process. 

I have also been thinking a lot about my children's future.  The more I see them go out and make choices and start to plan the more I realize how youth is wasted on the young.  I want to help guide and direct them so they can make good choices.  For example we have already arranged 3 marriages for my oldest son.  I have my favorite (JO) and there are 2 backups in case something happens and she gets wooed away before he comes home from his mission.  I also have decided to create nicknames for all of the boys my daughter dates.  This means I don't have to actually remember the boys names or who they are.  In 10 of 15 years when we are sitting around visiting with family and my daughter is married I can start dropping names like Bingo, Sparky, Corn Flakes and Loser Boy and no one but she and I will know what I am talking about.  I am a big believer in planning for the future and a good joke does take set up time.

I believe a good gage on well you did as a parent is determined by how much therapy the kids need once they move out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have been inspired by the words of brilliance or the creative spelling let me know and leave a comment, that is when it gets fun for us writing this thing is getting your feedback.