The Fam

The Fam
Family Photos Fall 2015

Friday, February 14, 2014

Day 1: A song from my childhood

This is the first of a 25 day blog challenge that 2 of my sisters and I are doing together.  We have agreed to post to our blogs at the same time and not discuss our blog post in advance.  We also agreed to make sure that their is a link to the song we are talking about so it does not become some sort of inside joke.

In 1985 one of the greatest movies of all time came out.  I was only 13 years old but even at that young age I new this was a classic to rival Citizen Kane (which was totally boring), The Wizard of Oz (completly scared me and I still refuse to watch it),  and Gone with the Wind (3 hour long temper tantrum of a really high strung chick).  The movie I am taking about is TOP GUN!  It has  been almost 30 years and it is as good now as it was when it first came out.  I had a VHS tape that I had a copy of Top Gun and Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure on.  I would get home from school and pop that thing into the VCR and watch it every day.  I would sit on the couch with it playing in the background as I did my home work.  The funny thing is my sister had her own VHS tape with the movie musical Grease on it.  If  I left the living room she would take out my movie and put hers in.  So I alway made sure to go to the bathroom first and bring snacks so I would not have to get off of the couch.

The title track to that movie is a song called Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.  The first 6 notes on a keyboard synthesizer are so specific and recognizable anyone who has ever seen the movie or heard the song cant help but smile when they hear it.  So without further delay the song from the single greatest movie of 1985 (Hoosiers pulled a close 2nd).




This movie and song came form a time in my life that was pre digital and pre ipod.  I could only watch it or listen to it at home or at a friends house.  Whenever I hear this song or see the movie it always takes me back to that time in my life.

This is a nod to my sister Heather who had a life long dream of a bunch of cute sailers singing this song to her.  Ya this movie had a little something for everyone.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have been inspired by the words of brilliance or the creative spelling let me know and leave a comment, that is when it gets fun for us writing this thing is getting your feedback.