The Fam

The Fam
Family Photos Fall 2015

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day 3: A song that reminds you of one or both of your parents

 There was always music playing in our home as I grew up.  When we moved to Dundee, Oregon the house had a stereo intercom system built-in and we could pipe music through the entire house...and we did.  We worked to music, studied to music, family members played and created their own.  Even now when it is time to work who ever is closest to the computer fires up iTunes and starts the "Housework" playlist.

My parents have very different tastes in music.  Dad was a little bit country and Mom was a little bit rock-n-roll.  My parents divorced when I was 2 years old.  They remarried each other a few years later.   Weird, I know.  During this time my Mom was in her 20's and still liked going out so she would practice dancing in the living room and we would get to dance with her.  I learned at a very young age I was not blessed with rhythm or a natural dancing ability.  She would play the same 45 record over and over and over.  The Bay City Rollers.  The hit "Saturday Night."  We would dance all day long to it.  As we got older it was still a treat to hear.  As I was writing this blog my oldest daughter just walked by and heard this song and randomly said "I hate that song.  It drives me crazy".  She is from the shallow end of the gene pool.

 



The song that reminds me of my Dad is one I don't hear very often.  During this same time in my life my Dad was a long haul truck driver and at times we got to ride in his truck.  He had these two briefcases full of cassette tapes he carried around with him.  I would ask to listen to the song about the alligator.  I didn't know the name of it, but I still loved it.  The song is actually performed by Jonny Horton and is called "The Battle of New Orleans".  At the time my Dad was very accommodating.  He would play the song then rewind it and play it again.  It had to get old for him but it was completely cool to a 3-4 year old.



Gina's Blog

Dedra's Blog

2 comments:

  1. Loved all of Hortons songs. Bismark. Way up North (in Alaska).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Battle of New Orleans reminds me of my mom. My kids always request the alligator song when they ride with her.

    ReplyDelete

If you have been inspired by the words of brilliance or the creative spelling let me know and leave a comment, that is when it gets fun for us writing this thing is getting your feedback.