The Fam

The Fam
Family Photos Fall 2015

Friday, June 17, 2011

Good Song not so good time to play it

Music can make or break a meeting.  If it is good then it really helps the service it is not so good it takes it the other direction.  Whether it is family home evening, Sacrament or general conference the music has a huge impact.  Every night before we read scriptures with my kids we always sing and opening hymn and have a prayer.  The opening song is usually a church song but on occasion Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, the ABC’s or something they learned at school works its way on to the program. 
Last week I needed to speak to the Bishop so I went to opening exercises for the young men and young women for their Wednesday night activity.  They were discussing an opening hymn and one of the leaders said sing hymn #152 (I think that is the number I don’t have a hymn book to confirm) it was the hymn “God be with you till we meet again”.  I said something to the effect of “isn’t this supposed to an opening hymn?”.  The sister who chose the hymn looked at me and said she loved this song and asked if I had a problem with that.  (She said this is a very fun playful manner, she was not looking for a fight…I think).  I quickly responded “there’s no problem ,I love this hymn”.  It is one of my favorites for funerals, ending conference and at the close of girl’s camp.  I could not think of a better hymn for these situations.  However singing it for opening exercises in a weekly youth activity is kind of like singing amazing grace at wedding.  Beautiful song but really does not fit the situation. 
This got me thinking I bet there are lots of songs and situations that would not go together.  My sister Dedra and I came up with this short but pointed list:
Grandmas funeral:  Grandma got ran over by a reindeer
Divorce Court: Families can be together forever


Bar mitzvah: I wish you a Merry Christmas
First day of School: hot for teacher
Going to the Bathroom: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Sacrament Meeting Prelude: Old McDonald on the Organ
We came up with several more that were either offensive or completely inappropriate and opted to leave them off.

1 comment:

  1. I have really heard Grandma got run over by a reindeer at a funeral.

    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a true story too.

    ReplyDelete

If you have been inspired by the words of brilliance or the creative spelling let me know and leave a comment, that is when it gets fun for us writing this thing is getting your feedback.